INTERIOR FOR NEW CONSTRUCTION
DRYWALL AND FINISHING STEPS 1-7
1. MOVE ANY FURNITURE IN WORK AREA
2. APPLY FLOOR PROTECTION AND ISOLATE WORK AREA.
3. DEMO OF OLD OR DAMAGED DRYWALL.
4. CUT OUT SHEET ROCK ACCORDING TO SIZE NEEDED FOR APPLICATION.
5. ONCE DRYWALL IS HUNG, HOMEOWNERS NEED TO CHOOSE ONE OF THE 5 DIFFERENT LEVELS OF FINISHING.
-LEVEL 0 : is used in temporary construction areas or if final decoration is not needed. No taping or finishing is required.
-LEVEL 1: is used in areas that would be concealed from viewing, like the attic and basements. Joint tape will not be covered with joint compound and ridges and tool marks will be visible.
-LEVEL 2 : is used is areas like the parking garage and storage areas where the final surface appearance is not a concern. Joint compound is applied over all fastener heads and beads and a thin coat over all joints and interior angles. Ridges and tool marks will be seen.
-LEVEL 3: is used in areas were a heavy texture will be applied or sprayed for final finish, PVA primer will be applied prior to finish application. All joint compound shall be smooth and free of tool marks and ridges.
-LEVEL 4: is used in areas were light to medium texture will be applied or sprayed, three coats of joint compound will be applied over all fastener heads, flat joints and interior angles, then smoothed and freed of tool marks and ridges. PVA Primer will be applied on drywall to allow better adhesive to any texture application prior to final product. (please be aware that in severe lighted areas, large areas of wall and large or multiple windows may be areas of concern when they interfere with the overall outcome of the wall finish.)
-LEVEL 5: is used in areas where massive lighting exist and were semi gloss, enamel or non-texture flat paints will be used. A skim coat of joint compound is used to conceal small imperfections and create a flatness appearance through out the whole surface of the gypsum board to create a more uniform surface. Sanding is used prior to priming with the PVA and all steps in level 4 will be repeated in level 5.
6. AFTER HOMEOWNER HAS CHOSEN WHICH LEVEL OF SMOOTHNESS THEY DESIRE, THEY CAN THEN PROCEED TO TEXTURE OR LEAVE THE SURFACE AREA SMOOTH.
7. FINALLY PROCEED TO REMOVING ALL TRASH AND DEBRIS IN WORK AREA.